Oats - Vegetable Sandwich

Waking up each morning and thinking of what to prepare for breakfast is a big question mark. On some days, this task is easy if there is idli / dosa batter ready in the fridge. My job is also easy when I plan the night before. Sometimes when I put up this question to my family members, I don’t always get an answer that I need. Most of the times it is – ‘Prepare anything that is easy for you’!!! Though they eat anything on the plate without grumbling, I am aware that they don’t  like  prefer to have the same menu over and over again. And yes, there are day's when I don't feel like eating the regular breakfast!So as I was saying, coming up with a different breakfast menus each day is a big issue.

Today,while the rest of the family had Dosa,Lil angel wanted her favorite Nutella on toast and I made this simple sandwich for breakfast...

Now that I mentioned sandwich,this post is specially for the Blogging Marathon # 21 which starts today and as you would have guessed by now,I have chosen the theme – Sandwiches and wraps’.

Oats is one of my favorite ingredient and I love to experiment with it. A few days back when I purchased a pack of Quaker oats, I saw 2 recipes on the box.One was a buttermilk recipe and the other was a sandwich recipe. I made a mental note of the sandwich recipe but half of the recipe faded from my memory as soon as I threw the box away, so this is my interpretation of that dish...

The oats Veggie sandwich that I am posting today belongs to the 'open sandwich' category.This type of sandwich is supposed to have originated somewhere around the 6th - 16th centuries.Open sandwiches are also known by the names - Open faced sandwich, Ulrich Sandwich, Bread baser , tartine....

Now to the recipe...


Oats - Vegetable Sandwich

Yield - 2 sandwiches
Cooking Time - 15 minutes
Category - Healthy breakfast / Bachelor cooking / Quick and easy recipe

I used:

Bread - 2 slices

Thick yogurt- 1/4 cup
Quick cooking oats, roasted - 2 tablespoons
Grated carrot - 1 tablespoon
Finely chopped capsicum - 1 tablespoon
Coriander leaves, fimely chopped- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Pepper powder to taste
Mint leaves- to garnish



To assemble.....

  1. Toast the bread slices
  2. In a bowl mix the yogurt, oats,carrot, capsicum ,salt and pepper power.
  3. Spread this on the toasted bread and serve immediately garnished with mint leaves.


Note :

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#21

Bon Appetit...



Labels: , , , , , , , ,