Carrot Pulihora

Waking up each day and breaking my head for some idea to pack for Lil Angel's lunch box happens almost every day. Her likes and dislikes changes ever so often[yes, it happens will all the kids all the time!!] and I am always searching for new recipe ideas.

A few months ago, I saw a bowl of boiled  kaala channa in the freezer. I remembered that it was for some salad but I had forgotten to use it.There was a single carrot in the crisper section and half a lime. So all I needed to do was put these together. Silently I packed it for her lunch box and waited anxiously till evening to see her reaction.

She came home and loudly announced - ' Mom, I did not like the rice you kept in my lunch box today.'. My heart sank. I looked at her sadly and turned behind to see MIL looking at both of us. Suddenly Lil Angel ran towards me, hugged my legs and cried out loudly - 'Mom, I was joking, I loved it,' and winked at me!!!At last , my experiment was a success!!!




I used :

Rice- 1/2 cup
Boiled kaala channa - 1/4 cup
Carrot - 1, medium sized, grated
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Urad dal, split - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a large pinch
Red chillies- 2, broken
Curry leaves - a few
Lemon juice to taste
Oil -1 tablespoon
Salt to taste


  1. Cook rice till done and grains are separate. Spread on a plate and leave aside.
  2. Heat oil in a pan an put in mustard, cumin seeds and urad dal.
  3. When the mustard pops and dal tuns brown, add curry leaves and red chillies.
  4. After a few seconds, add the grated carrot and saute till the raw smell goes off.
  5. Put in the boiled channa and turmeic powder.Saute for a minute and switch off the heat.
  6. Add the rice ,salt and mix well.
  7. Once it is luke warm, add lemon juice and serve with pappad / raita.







Take a look at the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#23


Bon Appetit...


Labels: , , , , ,