Homemade Ragi Flour

This month I am hosting Jagruti’s Know Your Flour’s series with the theme – Ragi Flour. As I have mentioned many times before, Ragi is one of my favorite ingredient and that is the reason I took up this theme.

So as a hostess and as a lover of this millet, it is only fair that I post some recipes for the event. There are a few Finger millet recipes in the blog already and I had planned at least a dozen recipes but somehow I got around to making just a few which I will be posting from today. So you can expect non – stop Ragi recipe shower in the coming days.

The first one is very simple and a basic recipe – preparing Ragi flour at home. Though it is readily available in the stores it is always a pleasure to prepare the dishes from the scratch at home. In order ot make the other dishes with Ragi flour, let us first prepare Ragi flour.

There are two methods…

1.     Soak ragi in water for 4-5 hours. Rinse the ragi grains in that water and then discard the water. Spread the ragi on a clean plate and dry it out in the sun. Once the Ragi is moisture free, grind to a fine powder, sieve and store in an air tight container.
2.     The second method is a little time consuming yet more nutritious than the first method. Soak the Ragi in water over night. Drain and tie the ragi grains in a muslin cloth and keep it in a warm place so that it sprouts. Once the sprouts are 1cm long, spread them on a clean plate and dry it out in the sun . Powder finely and store in an air tight container.

I found that the color of the home made Ragi flour is darker than that I used to buy in the store!Anyway,with this Ragi flour, we can prepare loads of dishes. Watch out this space tomorrow for some easy and tasty recipes that I prepared with this flour.




Bon Appetit...

Labels: , , ,