Masala Oats Porridge

Books have been a part of our family for as long as I can remember.There used to be loads of books around the house.Mom used to read magazines and novels with such enthusiasm and also wrote stories for children's magazines.Dad too loved to read.So there was nothing called formally 'introducing' me to books.Before stepping into school, they got me picture books which I loved and slowly I graduated to fairy tales and stuffs.

In school we had a library hour and in that period we had to read one of the many magazines present there.We had everything from comics to magazines like National geographic.We were also required to borrow a book for a week and write a gist the gist of the story that was to be submitted while returning the book the following week.

While most of my classmates saw this as a waste of time or a burden, I was more than happy to read books. I loved[and still like] Famous Five, Nancy Drew, Secret Seven and the like.Somehow I never liked the Mills and Boons series. The girls were always dreamy eyed and waiting for Mr. Right who was so handsome and doing stuffs to please the girls and always rescuing them from!!What I loved was the thrillers.

Even now whenever I pass a book stall I can never resist the urge to buy a couple of books. It may be anything from astronomy to cookery. I buy them and read it one by one ,sometimes a few pages at a time. Earlier on I would never put a book down until I read the last page. But now that looks like a distant dream!

There are boxes and boxes of books in the attic. I take them down once in a while and re-read the ones I bought many years ago. Along with reading the story I would walk down the memory lane and re-live the day or time I got that book. It is surely a great thing!

So when Srivalli announced this month's theme for Blogging Marathon #23,I took up 'Cooking From Kid's Story Book', I took it up eagerly.

For the first recipe, I cooked up this simple Masala Oats Porridge, based on the book - The Magic Porridge Pot....


Lil Angel is following my foot steps and so I thought I will read to her something that suits her age. I got this book - The Magic Porridge pot . I did not have time to search for the fairy tales collection that I read years back and I felt it was easier to go to the library than spending a few hours looking for the book in the dozen or so boxes.



This book is published by the Penguin Company and the series of mini books under the title Ladybird tales is suitable for children of age 3+. You can see all the books from this publishers here.

Now here is the gist of the magic porridge pot story...

Once upon a time there was little girl who lived with her mom[a widow] and they were so poor that they had to go hungry most of the days.
One day the Little girl goes to the woods to play and then begins to cry coz she is so hungry, An old women comes there and gives her a pot and tells her that it is a Magic pot and when it is told 'Cook,little pot, cook', it churns out delicious porridge. When the porridge was cooked it is to be told 'Stop,little pot, stop.'. 
The girl runs home to her mother and the duo are delighted. They never go hungry from that day. One day the girl goes out to play and her mom wants to have some porridge. She utters the magic words and the porridge begins to churn.She happily eats it and suddenly she remembers that she has forgotten the magic words to stop the pot. The porridge over flows into the streets and almost reaches the woods. The little girl who is on her way back home understands what happened and says the magic words to stop the pot and the mother is relived!




So here is my porridge that, I am sure, the mother and daughter would have enjoyed...

I used :

Quick cooking Oats - 1/2 cup
Mixed boiled vegetables - carrot, cauliflower, peas, beans and kaala channa
Onion-1,chopped
Curry leaves - a few
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Sambar powder- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste

  1. Heat oil in a pan and put in cumin seeds and curry leaves.
  2. When the cumin splutters, add the onion and saute till soft.
  3. Add 2 cups water and bring to boil.
  4. Put in sambar powder, turmeric powder, salt.
  5. Add the oats, vegetables and simmer till oats is cooked.
  6. Remove from heat and serve hot garnished with coriander leaves / mint leaves.


Note :

Adjust the quantity of water to get your desired consistency. This porridge thickens up after a while.




Take a look at the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#23

Sending this to Archana who is hosting Srivalli's Kid's Delight event with the theme - Cooking from Kids story book....

Bon Appetit...



Labels: , , , , , ,