Salata Baladi | Egyptian Vegetable Salad

Like I was telling you yesterday,in the Egyptian Red Lentil Soup post, I love the ancient city of Egypt. I must admit that I have never been there but yet I feel like I have visited this place. The reason - Robin Cook! Yes, the famous man who has authored several medical thrillers.

As you must be aware by now that I am a book fanatic.I have an undying love to collect and read books-Thanks to the wonderful school I studied in! So , some years back I got a novel named- Sphinx written by Robin Cook. I had never read his book and this was my first.

I started reading and within minutes I was transported to the ancient Egypt and walked through the Pharaohs palaces , theirs tombs, visited the newly constructed concession stand and became a part of that land! So good was his work!

This book is a story about a young American tourist and an Egyptiologist - Erica Baron who gets into trouble inadvertently. She witnesses two murders and also witnesses trafficking of antiques.She almost gets killed because of all this but somehow escapes and lives to tell the horrors she underwent.  

And to tell that I fell in love with Egypt through a book is really not a joke, at least in my case. Over the years I have read that book again and again and I find myself transported to Egypt yet again. Even now, I have a secret wish to really visit that place and see how it feels. Maybe one day this dream will come true. Until then if I want to travel to Egypt, I will just pick up the book and travel without spending a dime.

I will be posting a review of this book next week in my other blog - Me and My Book shelf! Be sure to take a look....

Now, let me serve you a simple Salad from the Land that entices me...


I used:
Source : Love My Salad

Cucumber- 1, small
Tomato-1 ,small
Onion- 1 small
Capsicum, 1/2
Lettuce leaves- 3
Green chili-1 ,deseeded

For dressing

Olive oil-4 teaspoons
Garlic, minced- 2 pods
Lemon juice-1 teaspoon
Salt and pepper to taste

  1. Mix all the ingredients for the dressing and keep aside.
  2. Chop the vegetables finely and keep it in a serving dish.Chill the salad.
  3. Drizzle the dressing over the salad just before you serve it.
  4. Enjoy the salad as such or as a side with Pita bread....



Take a look at the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM #36

Since the original recipes quotes that this is taken from the cookbook - The Big Arabic Cooking Book by Janny de Moor, I am making it a part of the Cookbook Challenge of the month....


Bon Appetit...


Labels: , , , , , ,